Manager Western Student Housing Ltd.
Vancouver Island University Position Description
Western Student Housing Ltd. operates student residences for Vancouver Island University (VIU). The Manager oversees the daily operations of the student residences. Duties include bookkeeping, financial reporting, and payroll; planning and implementing operational procedures; hiring and supervision of residence staff; overseeing facilities maintenance; and the development and implementation of business, marketing and customer service plans. This position promotes and develops business growth for summer conferences and visitors in addition to promoting the residences for the academic year. The Manager works closely with the Assistant Manager and VIU staff to ensure that both business and student life goals meet the needs of the business, VIU, the Academic Plan of VIU, and the student residents. This is a full-time position with on-call duties. Responsibilities:
Customer Service and Daily Operations
· Develop, implement, and evaluate operational procedures for student applications, room assignments and rentals, facilities management and maintenance, check-ins and
check-outs, summer group and individual rentals, refunds, etc.
· Review, develop and implement procedures for cleaning, maintenance, security and other operational needs
· Review, monitor, and develop policies and procedures which promote and sustain a positive service environment
· Liaise with VIU departments such as Facilities, Student Services, Finance, Ancillary Services, and International when necessary to exchange information, promote student housing, and to seek/provide assistance
· Communicate regularly with the Manager Ancillary Services providing information to keep the manager informed of events in WSH on a timely basis
· Maintain a high standard of customer service in WSH
Bookkeeping, Financial Reporting and Payroll
· Performs day to day bookkeeping and accounting procedures including receiving rents, guest payment and other miscellaneous revenues
· Perform accounts payable duties including payroll, WCB and other invoices
· Uses accounting software to track revenues and expenses, and produces monthly financial reports for VIU
· Submit invoices to the finance department for processing as well as month end sales information
· Track budget, prepare and analyze financial data quarterly and annually
· Set up and monitor cash handling procedures
· Initiate controls where applicable to meet the financial goals of WSH
Human Resource Management
· Hire, train, schedule, supervise and evaluate WSH employees
· Determine staffing levels and positions which maximize service and financial efficiency
· Develop and implement staff training as required
· Work with individual staff to encourage growth and development
· Develop activities to promote a strong sense of team and respond to staff concerns
· Participate in collective bargaining, and other labour relations processes as required
Oversee Facilities Maintenance
· Oversee and direct contracted and in-house maintenance staff for the ongoing upkeep of residence buildings and grounds
· Develops and implement procedures to ensure regular maintenance and upkeep on buildings, grounds, vehicles and equipment as required
· Develop long term capital repair and replacement plans
· Oversee the residence life program to ensure all activities reflect the strategic business goals of WSH including budget, marketing, human resource development,
· Provide supervision, direction, and support to the Assistant Manager to ensure consistency with WSH and VIU policies and procedures
· Provide direction and input in the formulation and review of residence life policies and procedures to the Assistant Manager and VIU
· Coordinate residence life activities with WSH operations activities to provide consistency, efficiency, and quality service to the residence and VIU community
· Provide direction and assistance to the Assistant Manager to develop the residence team and to resolve residence behavioral issues as required; participate in decision- making on the standards committee and in other student disciplinary process if and
· Possess a strong understanding and commitment to students
· Attend residence life team meetings if and when required
Development and implementation of strategic business and marketing plans
· In conjunction with Manager Ancillary Services develop and implement strategic business and marketing plans to ensure business growth and revenue targets are met
· Develop and implement communication and marketing tools for internal and external promotion
· 2-year diploma in Business, Tourism or Hospitality Management
· 1-3 years management experience in a student residence or similar environment
· Proven Bookkeeping and financial management skills
· Proven marketing abilities
· Creative problem solving and sound decision-making skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with individuals from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds
· Understanding of, and sensitivity to, cultural diversities
· Proven ability to work independently and meet multiple task deadlines
· Experience with facilities or property management an asset
· Strong leadership, communication and team building skills
· Strong computer skills
· Strong business acumen
· Proven excellent customer service skills
· Degree in Business, Tourism, or Hospitality Management
Hours of Employment
· This is a full-time position, Monday to Friday, with on-call hours as required
· Target start date will be May 13, 2013
A competitive compensation package will be provided with details discussed at the personal interview.
Please submit your resume by March 28, 2013, at 1 pm to:
Residence Manager Search
c/o Carol Desilets, Manager Ancillary Services and Capital Planning
Vancouver Island University
900 Fifth Street
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5S5
Email: email@example.com OR Fax: 250-740-6644
Late applications may not be accepted
Interviews will be held between April 8 and 19, 2013
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted
We are seeking positive and energetic persons to fill the position of Casual Housekeeper at Western Student Housing. In this position, you will provide cleaning and support in the student residences and promote a positive and safe living environment for residents and guests.
Qualified applicants should have:
· Less than high school graduation. No formal training.
· Over 6 months and up to one year recent related experience
· Good physical condition. Ability to lift and move up to 50 lbs. Ability to perform cleaning duties which involve lifting, stretching, walking, carrying etc.
· Ability to exercise good judgment in regards to emergency and non-emergency situations.
· Proven ability to work independently and follow instructions.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Proven service skills.
Unionized position with a pay rate: $15.09 per hour (as per collective agreement)
Shift: as needed but generally Monday-Friday
A uniform may be provided and if it is, it is will be mandatory attire.
Apply in writing to:
Western Student Housing
4 University Crescent
Nanaimo, BC V9R 6C5
Information packages containing the detailed job description can be e-mailed to applicants.
Types of Positions